The core modules in semesters 1 and 2 that make up 40 ECTS include:
- An introduction to development, covering international development theories and frameworks
- International development policy and practice including project management (formulation, appraisal, monitoring and evaluation), and covering a range of actors and development policies
- Data analytics and statistics for social scientists, so students can critically analyse data for development practice
- A development perspectives seminar series featuring invited international development practitioners from the UN, NGOs, research agencies
- Research communications for development, where students learn to develop their own website and critique sources of international development information.